Friday, April 13, 2007

A Major Change in Travel Plans?

Today, I found out that there had been two terrorist incidents in Casablanca within the past month or so. I am extremely disappointed at this news since this means I may have to re-think my travel plans to Morocco. I had been very much looking forward to seeing what life was like in Morocco, learning about their culture, trying their food, and maybe even learning some Arabic. In fact, I saw Morocco as the highlight of the trip. But, due to terrorism concerns, I am seriously reconsidering Morocco. I will continue to monitor the situation, but since I have to buy my tickets within a week or two, it is looking doubtful I will end up travelling there this summer.

In a related note, during my search for more information, I have also noticed that Turkey also had a few recent terrorist incidents. Because of this, I am also reconsidering my plans to travel to Istanbul, which I saw as another highlight of the trip.

Today had been an extremely disappointing day for travel plans, as it looks like I may end up not being able to explore Arabic culture this summer, and may end up shaving up to three weeks off of my original travel plans. But life and safety are ultimately the most important things to consider, as well as how my actions will impact the people who care about me. If you have any suggestions or more information I should know, please post a comment or e-mail me.

No comments: